Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mercado y Clara

Mercado, or the weekly open-air market, happens every Wed. from 10AM to 2PM on the street where the church is.  I met one vendor, Clara, the second day we were here.  I told her that I wanted to learn how to make the signature dish of Asturias (our province).   She sold me the ingredients and explained how to make it.  (Vegitarians, skip the next sentence!)  Fabada is made with dried fava beans, onions, garlic, olive oil,  chorizo,  murcilla (blood sausage) and bacon similar to pancetta.  It turned out fabulous!  It was so much fun and I was so happy, given the Castillian accent in Spain, that I could actually understand Clara.  She told me to come back next mercado and she would teach me all about the Asturian cheeses.
The best watermelon we have ever had - from Clara's mercado stand.

Mi fabada.  Muy deliciosa.
Odd picture of our tablecloth taken through a chair back.

No comments:

Post a Comment