Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ruta del Cares - pt. 3

We made it to Caín and had another 12 km to Poncebos.  In retrospect, I remember Carlos and Isabel warning us about the narrow trail and steep drop-off, but at the time I wasn't really aware of it.  It was a bit terrifying at times.  The trail ranged from about 4 to 10 feet wide (feeling like 12 inches at times) and the drop-off was 100's of feet, sometimes a sheer drop.  Even August was very protective of Louis and the word "cuidado" was used more than 100 times I'm sure.  One man passing us stumbled at the edge of the trail and we all thought he was going to go over the edge.  I told Carlos I was going to have bad dreams about the man falling off the edge of the trail.  For the most part I am going to let the pictures speak for themselves.  The views were awesome and I'm not sure if the pictures will do them justice.  I can only say that anyone who can, should do this hike.

The fish ladder and spillway at Caín

Our first glimpse of the canyon.  It isn't very deep here...relative to what is to come.

The trail goes through tunnels in the side of the canyon here and there.  It gives one time to breath easy with a sense of safety. 

Taking a brief break.

Amazing how the trees grow on the canyon wall.

One of a few bridges we crossed.  I could not pause and look down on these bridges.

Obviously I didn't take this picture!

At times even August insisted on holding Louis' hand for fear he would go over the edge.

gulp  

Friends we met along the trail:
After a certain point on the trail, these guys were everywhere.

Taken by Louis





Looking back....
At the top of the last hill, looking back.




Back down for the last bit of the trail.  The lower trail is used by fishermen.

The oddest mountain goat....



More goats in the parking area at the end of the trail.

Louis pets a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment